The Toronto Star‘s Peter Edwards reports on patterns in Google searches in Toronto. I would suggest that another explanation might be that users of Chinese languages use search engines other than Google, Baidu for instance.
Toronto has a large Chinese community, but there’s not much Chinese-language Googling out of the GTA. But Toronto has a far smaller Spanish-language community, and Spanish is the most-used language for Googling from here, after the official languages of English and French.
Those are a few of the findings of a just-released study by the Google News Lab.
The study breaks down the estimated more than 3 billion searches a day globally by language and city for Berlin, Delhi, London, Madrid, New York, Paris, Sao Paulo, Shanghai and Toronto.
“It’s interesting,” McMaster University sociology professor Vic Satzewich said in an interview.
Satzewich, who has studied patterns of immigration, suggested ebbs and flows in immigration and tourism help explain the Googling patterns.
He suggested that the low number of Chinese-language Googlers from the GTA might be reflected in part by an effort by the government to attract immigrants who are strong in Canada’s two official languages.
The high Spanish-language Googling from the GTA could reflect an increase in temporary workers from Mexico and Guatamala over the past decade.
In 1793, the little frontier town of York consisted of just 10 blocks: two rows of five stacked on top of each other between present day George, Front, Adelaide, and Berkeley streets. The entire city of Toronto grew from this tiny waterfront nucleus.
The original city is now firmly within the St. Lawrence neighbourhood. King St. east of Jarvis cuts right through the centre of the more than 200-year-old community.
In 1797, plans were made to extend the city to the north and west. Peter Russell, an administrator who succeeded town founder John Graves Simcoe, mapped out new roads west to Peter St. and north to Queen St. The extension included space for a market, court house, church and jail.
As historian Wendy Smith notes, the westward push was limited by an “ordnance boundary” located 1,000 feet east of Fort York. The canons that were meant to protect York from invasion needed a clear line of sight and so, at the time, nothing could be built closer to the military base.
toronto oldest neighbourhoodThe allowance for a market spawned today’s St. Lawrence Market (the original allocation is currently occupied by St. Lawrence Hall) and the church block is now home to St. James Cathedral. The city’s first coffee shop was also located in the area, as was the first Upper Canada parliament buildings at Front and Berkeley.
There is more, including abundant photos, at the site.