Archive for April 2003
- I only saw 11 SARS masks in Toronto, including one Toronto leaving for Charlottetown with me. In my opinion, Toronto’s SARS scare was a needed exercise; what if SARS was a pandemic disease comparable to the bubonic plague? That said, the hysteria over the disease was overblown. Oh, and Mel Lastman is an idiot.
- I went to the Bau-Xi Gallery on Wednesday. There was a fantastic exhibition by one Andre Petterson there. I took a photo of one work; I’ll link to it when the films are developed.
- Kingston is a very pleasant town. It is palpably less multicultural than Toronto, but infinitely more advanced than Charlottetown. Then again, in the early 1990s Indian restaurants were apparently thin on the ground there, too.
- On Friday, I met with Dr. Marta Straznicky, head of the graduate program in English at Queen’s. She recognized me, I think from the E-mails that we exchanged. We had a nice little chat about my involvement in the program, Kingston, the difficulty of getting residences, and the large number of courses (22) available in the coming year. Queen’s looks good.
- Talking to Craig Saturday night, he mentioned how Margaret Cho called SARS Severe Asian Racism Syndrome. Pak Wei, in Kingston, mentioned how he heard from his friends in Toronto how non-Asians were avoiding Chinatown. I didn’t notice this, but then I was the visitor. (And the only reason I didn’t eat in Chinatown is that I can get Chinese food here.)
- There was, in the College Hostel on my second visit, a fetching young brown-haired woman from Mecklenburg, on the Baltic Sea coast of the former East Germany. She was impressed that I knew where she came from.
- Heavier-than-air flight is wonderful.
The Dante’s Inferno Test has banished you to the Sixth Level of Hell – The City of Dis!
Here is how you matched up against all the levels:
|Purgatory (Repenting Believers)||Very Low|
|Level 1 – Limbo (Virtuous Non-Believers)||High|
|Level 2 (Lustful)||High|
|Level 3 (Gluttonous)||Moderate|
|Level 4 (Prodigal and Avaricious)||Low|
|Level 5 (Wrathful and Gloomy)||Moderate|
|Level 6 – The City of Dis (Heretics)||Very High|
|Level 7 (Violent)||Very High|
|Level 8- the Malebolge (Fraudulent, Malicious, Panderers)||Moderate|
|Level 9 – Cocytus (Treacherous)||Moderate|
Take the Dante’s Divine Comedy Inferno Test
You’re the baby of the drugs,
and that’s okay,
because I’m sure,
I could do you all day.
Which drug should you be hooked on? [now with pictures]
brought to you by Quizilla
I got back an hour ago, and I am (among other things) downloading my 812 E-mail messages accumulated since the early afternoon of the 20th.
Thank God I was able to prune out the junk and other unwanted mail via my webmail interface, else I’d probably have twice that number.
More on the trip later.