CBC News reports on the continuing confusion in American entry procedures for Canadians.
Canadian citizens can travel freely to the United States despite U.S. President Donald Trump’s sweeping immigration order that bans visitors from seven Muslim-majority countries, the Prime Minister’s Office says.
Saturday’s news came hours after the U.S. State Department told CBC News the 90-day travel ban covers all people who have a nationality or dual nationality with Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Iran, Somalia, Libya, and Yemen — which would include tens of thousands of Canadians.
“We have been assured that Canadian citizens travelling on Canadian passport will be dealt with in the usual process,” Kate Purchase, spokeswoman for the Prime Minister’s Office, said in a statement.
[. . .]
Trump’s executive order on Friday curbs travel to the U.S. for people coming from the seven Muslim-majority countries. In an email to CBC News earlier on Saturday, a spokesperson for the U.S. State Department said: “Beginning January 27, 2017, travellers who have nationality or dual nationality of one of these countries will not be permitted for 90 days to enter the United States or be issued an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa.”
“Those nationals or dual nationals holding valid immigrant or nonimmigrant visas will not be permitted to enter the United States during this period.”
It’s not clear at this point whether the ban affects dual nationals who have citizenship with one of the banned countries and another country outside of Canada.