Posts Tagged ‘ttc’
The Toronto Star‘s Peter Goffin reports on the online response to the TTC’s plan to close down the Queen streetcar line this summer.
The TTC’s announcement that it will replace streetcars with buses during repairs to Queen St. this summer has jumpstarted conversation on social media.
Facebook and Twitter were flooded Wednesday morning with Torontonians bemoaning the change to their commute, criticizing the timing, and complaining about the construction projects that are causing the conversion.
Some were worried that putting more buses on the road would create more pollution.
“Buses are more harmful for the environment than streetcars, as streetcars run on electricity and not fuel,” wrote TJ Phelan on Facebook.
[URBAN NOTE] “Suspect who shot TTC fare collector during robbery had held up station twice before: Toronto police”
The National Post carries this Canadian Press report on the latest regarding the search for the suspect who attacked a fare collector at Dupont station five years ago.
Toronto police say a suspect who shot a TTC fare collector in the neck five years ago had held up the same subway station twice in the months leading up to the attack.
Staff Insp. Mike Earl says no other similar robberies were committed after the shooting, which took place at Dupont subway station on the evening of Feb. 26 2012.
Earl says the case is “very unusual” and all investigative leads have now dried up.
Police are asking for help in identifying the suspect, who is described as a heavyset white man or woman in their 30s and likely left-handed.
TTC spokesman Brad Ross says the fare collector, who survived the shooting, is still on disability leave after experiencing “medical issues” during recovery.
[URBAN NOTE] “Two sides in TTC union fight agree to mediation after Bob Kinnear tries to get rival sent to jail”
The Toronto Star‘s Ben Spurr reports on the latest in the struggle for the control of the TTC workers’ union.
A bitter dispute over the leadership of the TTC’s largest union has been de-escalated, at least temporarily, with the two sides agreeing to enter into mediation.
Lawyers for the president of Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113, which represents more than 10,000 TTC employees, and the organization’s parent union, U.S.-based Amalgamated Transit Union International, appeared at University Ave. courthouse Monday to file papers consenting to a mediation process led by noted labour lawyer William Kaplan.
Bob Kinnear, who was first elected president of Local 113 in 2003, had filed motion last week seeking an order to find his rival Manny Sforza in contempt of court, and punish him with a fine and imprisonment. Sforza is the ATU International vice president who replaced Kinnear temporarily when the parent organization locked Kinnear out and put the local under a trusteeship earlier this month.
The Globe and Mail‘s Oliver Moore reports on how costs for the Scarborough subway are estimated to be spiraling up even as the numbers of potential users are falling. This Scarborough line simply makes no sense at all, apart from the political that is.
The projected cost of redesigning Scarborough transit around a new subway extension continues to rise, even as the number of new riders the project will attract has plummeted, according to a number of reports released Tuesday.
The latest information on the controversial project puts its cost at $3.35-billion, provided city council follows the staff recommendation for a more expensive underground bus station option that would add $187-million. The whole project was priced at only $2-billion a year ago, when the plan to go from a three-stop to a one-stop subway emerged.
The growing subway cost reflects ongoing analysis and is likely to continue to change. A staff report said the final price is likely to be within 70 per cent and 150 per cent of the current estimate. Council will be asked in March to push the project forward, with a round of more detailed reports from staff expected late in 2018.
Based on the most recent cost and ridership projections, the city will be spending approximately $1.45-million for each new rider the subway extension attracts.
“It’s madness,” said midtown Councillor Josh Matlow, who has long supported an LRT instead for Scarborough and argued Tuesday that Toronto has its priorities skewed. “It’s clearly a reckless use of the limited tax dollars that the city has.”
Global News’ David Shum describes how, this summer, the Queen streetcar line will be replaced by buses.
For the first time in TTC history, transit riders will have to make due with buses along the entire 501 Queen streetcar route this summer.
From May 7 to Sept. 3, streetcars will not be travelling the busy corridor due to a number of construction projects.
“Because of a number of construction projects along Queen Street that would disrupt regular streetcar service, it was decided that replacing them with buses would allow for a better customer experience in the short-term,” TTC spokesperson Stuart Green said.
In total, 65 buses will be replacing 27 streetcars from the Neville Loop in the east end to the Long Branch loop in Etobicoke.